Thursday, February 14, 2008

valentines day finale

Angel Food Cake Horror Story: True Story: I decided to help my mom out by baking the angel food cake. I mixed the batter together, threw it in the oven and walked away. By some random chance, I decided to go back into the kitchen and make myself a cup of tea. I looked on the counter and noticed there was a puddle of angel food cake batter oozing its way along, and wondered what was up. SO, I opened the oven, and saw half the cake going down from the bottom of the pan and into the bottom of the oven. :-O!!! Who knows what happened. It was either my mistake of putting milk instead of water into the batter (eeks...lesson learned: don't bake when overtired from school!) OR it was because I didn't fit the bottom of the pan properly. Hmm...

Anyways, aside from that..haha..., the day went really, really well. This morning I got so much homework done, and this afternoon I fit in a good 4-mile run. The sun is starting to feel warmer, and it went up to 30 degrees this afternoon...so nice! :)

Pre-run (about 1/2 hour before) I snacked on 1/2 a Fruit and Nut Kind bar. I wasn't sure if the protein would weigh me down when I was running, but it didn't seem too at all...it gave me a good boost of energy. :)

I snacked on the other half for a post-run snack...


Look who decided to sit in the bushes in my backyard. :) When I was small I used to be an avid birdwatcher (yes, I was a bit of a geek...ha), so seeing the cardinals come around still makes me smile. :) They look so pretty in the snow-covered trees...

My dad grilled a rib-eye steak for supper, along with some grilled potatoes with olive oil, garlic, and some paprika. YUM! Slightly unphotogenic, but very tasty. :) We steemed some asparagus for a veggie, and I topped mine with a spritz of fresh lemon and salt and pepper. These were so good, and so worth the extra $$$.

For a valentines day dessert I made the family a blueberry cobbler. We ate it hot out of the oven, and I topped mine with a dollop of whipped cream. The dessert got rave reviews from everyone, but some members missed the appearance of vanilla icecream on the side. ;) Personally, I like it better with the cream. I think icecream has a way of cooling the dish down too quickly, and I like to savor each and every warm bite of blueberry bliss. :-D


Another busy day starts tomorrow, but theres a nice long weekend to look forward to. :) Hope everyone is having a wonderfully happy Valentines Day!!!

1 comment:

Brightcetera said...

Of course everything looks so good!
I just started birdwatching and I'm 47. I love it and use it as an excuse to get outside and enjoy the fresh air. Who knows, you might get back into it later in your life :)