Saturday, February 23, 2008

Strange Cravings Part II...;)

Since I had a later breakfast then usual, all I really wanted for a mid-morning snack was a fruit. These peaches aren't at their peak of ripeness yet, but they were still delicious. :)

I had the hardest time trying to think of what I wanted for lunch today. My mom is sick with the flu, so I needed to make my dad and I both something tasty (and fast.) I ended up using the last two pita pockets to make him some pizzas on, and made us each a side salad. I ate mine while still trying to contemplate what I was in the mood for. Usually I can just whip up anything and be happy, but I have those moments where I know I'm craving something without really knowing what that something is...strange, I know...

That's when it hit me. My dad's pizza was making me think about how much I love a good Hawaiin style pizza, and how tasty ham and pineapple can be together. SO, I made this crazy ham and pineapple sandwich. I toasted up two slices of bread in a frying pan (using pam), heated the ham slices very briefly in the same pan (doesn't take long for them to heat up...maybe 10-15 seconds per side), and heated the pineapple in the microwave. When the bread was browning, I threw two slices of Hormel all-natural honey ham on, topped with the warmed pineapple (making sure it didn't come in direct contact with the bread to avoid a soggy mess!,) added two more slices of ham, and topped it all off with a little honey dijon mustard. Maybe I just had weird tastebuds from the strange craving, but it tasted pretty amazing. haha...

***Oh, and I also had a glass of milk to accompany my sandwich, but appearantly I was too excited about satisfying my craving that I forgot to take a picture. :D

7 comments:

jess said...

Hey, just discovered your blog and am Loving it! I know just what you mean about not being able to decide exactly what it is that you're craving, but I'm SO glad you figured it out (and it happens to look amazing! totally forgot about hawaiian style pizza). Any cheese on that bad boy? Or did it not even need it? Either way, looks awesome. Hope you can decide Exactly what you want for dinner
-jess

Anonymous said...

you're so creative! I just love reading your blog everyday, you have a great approach to healthy eating and you seem like the sweetest girl!! enjoy the weekend!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

ooh, I too love peaches - just wish they WERE at their peak! hopefully their time will come soon :0)

Brightcetera said...

Love the sandwich and that heart-shaped bowl!

Sarah said...

jess---Well, at the time I didn't even think about cheese. But now that you mention it..haha...I think swiss cheese would have tasted awesome on it! it was great and "melty tasting" without it, but cheese would have definately made it heavenly. :D

courtney---Thank you so much for the kind comments!! You completely made my day...:) I hope you enjoy your weekend as well! :) :)

veggiegirl---I know! It's going to be great having all the fresh fruits and veggies come into season again...can't wait! :)

katschi---Thanks! :D It was one of those things that you have to be in the mood for, probably, but it was really tasty. :)

Alicia said...

I love that sandwich idea. I need to find some non processed ham first but never thought of putting ham and pineapple in a sandwich. Thanks for the idea!:)

Sarah said...

alicia---I hope you enjoy it! :)