Friday, February 22, 2008

strange cravings, delicious suppers, and new fruits!

I never crave smoothies during the winter...it's way too cold and all I could ever want is a hot cup of tea. Then there was today...I got home and all I could think about was making myself a big glass of cold and fruity goodness. Definately a weird craving, but thankfully I had some stuff to make one. I blended 1/2 cup of vanilla hemp-milk (heard so many good things about it on other blogs, that I had to give it a try), 1/4 cup of fat-free plain yogurt, 1/2 cup of blueberries, 1/4 cup of pineapple, and a few icecubes. This could definately use some tweaking in the flavor department...not sure if I liked the flavor of vanilla mixed with pineapple and blueberries or not, but at the time it seemed to hit the spot. :) I paired it with a small handful of almonds.

Supper was absolutely delicious. Underneath that bowl of mixed veggies and chicken stir-fry is some brown rice, all topped with a sauce that tasted of sweet soy sauce with some kick from the hot pepper flakes. Its such a versatile recipe, and tasted pretty darn amazing...

Oh, and I have a new appreciation for chopsticks. I tend to be a fast eater, which I think comes partly from school where I was sometimes 'forced' to scarf down meals at the caf in between classes. In an effort to retrain myself, I've been doing better about slowing down and savoring my meals. And these chopsticks worked like a charm...I ate way slower then my normal pace, and ended up enjoying the meal so much more. :)

I saw these cute little "lemon plums" at the grocery store and had to buy one to test out. :)
I cut it in half and let my family test it. They all just wanted a bite to see what it was like, so I was able to help myself to the other half. It tasted like...well...like a plum! haha...it was really tasty and sweet with a little bit of a tang to it as well. A little too pricey (right now anyways!) to buy a lot, but it's always fun trying new fruits out. :)

Here's a shoutout "YAY!" that the weekend is here! I don't know about everyone else, but I'm excited for some good ol' relaxation...and maybe some shopping on the side. :)

4 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Haha, I too usually forgo smoothies in the winter, but I drink them almost everyday now, despite the frigid temperatures.

Wow, that lemon plum is quite intriguing... I'll have to look for it at the farmer's market!

I'll second your "yay" shout-out for the weekend - thank goodness it's here! :0)

gc said...

hey sarah...could you provide a recipe for your chicken stir fry? or just tell me your ingredients (veggies and spices)?

looks sooo good!
have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

You packed a portable milk that you did not drink today. I have never seen a milk that does not need to be refrigerated before. What brand is that?

Also, how do you store all your veggies and lettuce? And what type of containers do you use to store things in the freezer. Thanks and I really love your blog. It seems like the most middle ground one (I mean that in a positive way, nothing is extreme!)

Sarah said...

veggiegirl---The lemon plum was really good..let me know how you like it if you happen to find one at the market! :)

emma---I'll post it up in the recipes section right after this! :)

jill---The portable milks are great! I found this particular brand, "1% Organic Valley Milk" in the health food section at my stop and shop (they also have chocolate flavored!)

For storing stuff, I'll keep the greened lettuce bags in their own bag, as well as spinach, broccoli, cauliflower...etc. When I'm ready to eat the broccoli or spinach, I'll just cut what I need, and wash right before serving (to avoid soggy veggies..ick!)

For freezing, I like keeping tupperware containers of different sizes. If I make a homemade soup, for example, its nice having it split up into individual servings in their own bowls, so I can just pop it in the microwave and defrost for a quick and easy supper! I want to start a "labeling system" soon as well, in order to keep track of whats in there and when it was put there.