Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Time to restock!!

I absolutely love that feeling I get after going for a run. I kept arguing with myself that it was way too cold out to be running, but I put my running clothes on anyway, and got my wimpy self out the door. The best motivation I can possibly give myself is the reminder of what I'll feel like if I don't run!! I'm so happy I fit that 4-miler in! :) And really, the weather wasn't all too bad. It was about 15 degrees by the time I went, and I warmed up really quick, which actually made for a very enjoyable run.

Okay, ready for a scary lunch? Post-run, I wanted nothing more then a bowl of soup, but was completely out of Amy's Organic (definately time to restock!) soups, and had no more frozen homemade soups on hand. I ended up heating a can of progresso chicken noodle and had some kashi crackers on the side.

My problems with this soup? Well, for one thing, there are way too many noodles, and not enough veggies! With only 1 gram of fiber per serving (2 if you eat the entire can like I did), it doesn't have much to it (but does have some protein from the chicken.)

Here's the scary part: I realized that it tasted high in salt, but didn't realize how high that really was until reading the nutrient label after I ate it. For one can, there is 1920 mg of sodium! Eeks! This is exactly why I like to make my own soups when I can...this is okay for the occasional lunch, but I won't be making it a staple anytime soon.

Afterwards I munched on a cortland apple, which hit the sweet spot. :)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

i think i'm going to print this last post out for inspiration...i'm such a "fair weather" outside runner (read: WIMP!). i wouldnt go out the other day when it was 55*....WAYYYY warmer than your 15*!! you rock! thanks for the motivation :)

Court said...

aren't you foodie911!?! so happy that you're back!

Sarah said...

sarah---haha..don't worry, I'm right up there with you and being a "fair weather" runner. Getting out in the first place really is the hardest part of the run, I think, but once I'm out there its so worth it! :)

cavb---Yes I am! :) I thought about keeping the same title to avoid confusion and all that, but figured since I was changing sites, may as well start completely afresh. :) Thanks for stopping by...I'm happy to be back! :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah! I'm new to your blog, and I love it! I have a few questions that I hope you don't mind answering.
1- I see you're a soph. in college; did you ever eat on a meal plan?
2- Do you find it hard to eat healthy if you go out with your friends or something?
I'll be starting college soon and am really worried about the "freshman 15" thing. Did you ever struggle with the weird college hours (IE late study nights, etc) and did that affect your eating?
Haha sorry if that's a lot, but I'd appreciate any tips you can give me to stay healthy in college!

Sarah said...

anonymous---Hi! So glad you stopped by the blog! :)

1. Yep! Freshman year I was on a meal plan because I didn't have a car to commute back and forth to school.

2. To me, eating healthy means eating good 90% of the time, and keeping everything in balance. If you eat good for the most part, it's okay to eat out with friends and enjoy the "not so healthy" foods that you really enjoy. I enjoy going out for the occasional pizza or stopping for a burger and fries, but this is kept for special occasions and only if I really want it.

Freshman year I was eating out with friends quite a bit, and there are nearly always options for eating healthy. Sometimes I'd split the entree with someone (we would always split dessert), and sometimes I'd go for a large grilled chicken salad (one of my favorites!) I only had to deal with people commenting on my food choices a few times, but I learned that as long as I didn't react to it, people eventually stopped. Not to mention, you'll find people who feel the same way you do about food, and who enjoy eating healthy as well. :)

As for late nights, I usually need just a little snack to hold me over after supper and to keep me awake for studying/hanging with friends. I like keeping 100-calorie popcorn bags on hand, or I'll buy a box of cereal and break it up into single serving bags with raisins for a snack. Sometimes the munchies just hit, without even being hungry, and that's when I go for teas, swiss miss diet hot chocolate, or cut-up veggies (or single serve 100-cal pretzel bags if you want something salty.)

I gained a little weight my freshman year, but that was due to me being inactive, and once I started hitting the gym after classes, it came right back off. As long as you eat healthy for the most part (lean meats, easy on the mayo-laden salads, steamed veggies, salads, broth-based soups, lean cuts from the deli, veggie pizza paired with salads...etc...) and stay active, I wouldn't worry too much about it! I was scared at first too, but it didn't take long to find a new rythm that worked for me, as far as finding time to exercise and finding food that energized me, kept me full and made my tastebuds happy. :)

Best of luck with college!! :)