Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Late lunch and supper posts!!

Goodness, today was a long day. I didn't get out of classes until 3:30, but was able to hang out with a friend over a steaming hot latte as soon as classes let out. It was definately my incentive to get through the day! :) Now I'm relaxing a little before getting some more never-ending homework done! At least I have tomorrow off. My plans are to sleep in for an extra hour, and get a whole lot of homework done early on. By the end of next week, things should start to slow down a little...I just need to get through these 3 big exams first!

Since there's so much food to cover from today, I'll just order it all in right here, time-wise:

5:00---Breakfast
7:45---1 pack of simple harvest oatmeal. I plopped it in the microwave this time around rather then pouring in boiling water, and actually really enjoyed it! It made for the perfect mid-morning snack, and held me over really well until lunch time.
11:30---Peanut butter and jelly sandwich with the other 1/2 of my breakfast banana made for an easy lunch to pack and eat for a busy school day. :)

12:30---I snacked on a pear (not pictured! sorry!) during chem class. I pre-cut it before I left so that it would be easy to snack on.
3:30---16 oz. skim latte with a friend...a nice treat after a long day of classes. :)
5:30---For supper I had a nice heartwarming bowl of homemade corn chowder, which was amazing! It's a lighter version (made with 1% milk, lean ham, corn and potatoes) but you would never ever tell. It's so rich and creamy...:) I also had a peice of homemade bread with smart balance on the side. And, since we were out of salad mix, I had some carrot sticks and juicy cherry tomatoes on the side. I'll admit, I'm still feeling hungry, and think it has to do with the fact that this meal didn't quite cut it in the fiber department (but I couldn't resist having a slice of homemade white bread while its still fresh...:)! I'll see if my stomach settles and digests (I like giving it 20 minutes to wait and see..:) before deciding if I'm still hungry or not. hehe...

Morning Snack
LUNCH (Pear not pictured)

SUPPER (Pre-supper latte not pictured)

"Salad replacement :)"

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for your reply!

Do you continue your exercise routines when you have your period? I know exercising helps or to do just walking etc. I always feel bloated and don't really want to get sweaty, but I don’t want to have to not weight lift etc. one week every month and slow my progress (once I get out of a routine it takes me another month or two to start again- I am not even exaggerating). Any suggestions? I love corn chowder- so jealous :)

Anonymous said...

yummy looking meals! thanks for including the times and your schedule, that really helps to see your plan...it's much like mine on a busy busy day of Wednesday classes! glad you made it through, good luck studying!!

Anonymous said...

What are you favorite snacks and desserts, besides popcorn and cocoa :) I know everyone loves yogurt, but for some reason I don't like it and never find it filling. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Looks like you squeezed in a nice variety of satisfying foods today :). I was wondering if you could put up the recipe for the corn chowder? Sounds delish! Thanks!

Sarah said...

Beth---I like to keep exercising during my period because it actually makes me feel better in the long run. However, I don't keep up with my normal running routine, because like you said, being sweaty is no fun when feeling bloated and having cramps. Ick! I keep my exercise low-key for the first two days of my period, like walking. For me, the first two days are the worst, and after that I get back into my normal routine but keep my runs slow and enjoyable.

For weight lifting, do you do it every other day? If thats the case, its okay to take that "every other" day off, and resume back on your normal schedule on your normal pattern. Taking a break might actually be beneficial in the long run, anyway. But if you really don't want to mess up the routine and schedule (because I do know what you mean about trying to get back into the swing of things after taking even a short break!) you could do your weight training as normal but keep it short and sweet, while using lighter weights then normal (or shortening the amount of reps you do for various exercises.) By doing this, you're mentally keeping your routine going, and its easier to get yourself out to the gym and lifting those weights when you know it won't be a full-fledge workout. :)

anonymous Thanks for the 'good lucks'! :) Same to you for your classes as well! Thankfully I was able to get done my homework sooner then expected tonight, which makes for a nice break from late night studying. :)

lisa---I have a different list of favorite snacks for during the day and at night. :) I usually have one or two night snacks a week, and keep them 250 calories or under. These snacks aren't meant to keep me going or as a nutritional benefit...they're the "just because" lists of snacks. :D These include, of course, popcorn and hot cocoa...haha.., baked tostitos and salsa (heated with black beans and a bit of cheese on top), favorite dry cereals for munching on, mixed veggies and ranch dip, cheese and crackers...etc. I pretty much just go for whatever I'm in the mood for at the moment, but keep the calorie check in mind so I have a "limit" for myself.

Afternoon snacks I eat for energy (and taste of course!) and I try to up my nutritional intake of whatever I might be missing. I do love yogurt, but like you, don't find it filling as is! However, by adding a fruit along side it, with a sprinkling of slivered almonds or crushed walnuts, it makes for a filling snack that lasts for quite a while.

Other fave afternoon snacks: peanut butter on apple slices, mixed veggies and hummus, healthy granola bar (that includes nuts) with a glass of milk, cheese and crackers with fruit slices, bowl of oatmeal, handful of nuts and raisins, etc.

Favorite desserts? Thats a toughy...I like little amounts of something really amazing the most. A peice of godiva chocolate is one of my favorites, or a hot cookie from the oven. Basically anything thats extra special.

If I get a sugar craving, I like having a scoop or two of slow-churned icecream, or a cup of hot chocolate. And, I almost ALWAYS have some sort of dark chocolate lying around for a "just in case" scenario. Having a good quality dark chocolate not only has health benefits (I still haven't gotten over the excitement of this fact! haha) but is so rich and savory that a small peice is all it takes. :)

danielle---I'd love to! :) I just posted it up in the recipes section!! :)