Thursday, March 6, 2008

Breakfast of Champions...or at least of busy, normal, everyday people...:)

This morning I woke up knowing I had a ton of work to be done, so I contemplated between having a fast breakfast or a stovetop bowl of oats. What to do?

I finally decided on the oats...I find that I function better throughout the day when I have a breakfast that carries me through, and oatmeal has always been perfect for that. :) Definitely worth the extra few minutes it takes to heat it up and chop the fruits.

I increased the cooking time from 8-10 minutes to make it thicker and softer, and ended up liking this Arrowhead Mills brand much better then the first time I made it. I also added in a heated pear, lots of cinnamon, and a handful of raisins when the oats were half way done cooking.

At the very end, I added on the walnuts and a drizzling of maple syrup. This bowl was so amazingly delicious; I think I'll be having pear spice oatmeal more often. :D I think the secret is having a pear thats super sweet and juicy...

Off to get some work done...looks like a sunny day over here, and hopefully it is for all of you as well!! :)

6 comments:

gc said...

hey sarah...yummy looking breakfast as usual...just wanted to let you know that none of your pictures from yesterday's "recap" are showing up except for your dinner. Maybe problems downloading? Anyways, I thought I'd let you know!

Anonymous said...

mmm weird, emma---They're all downloaded on my page (?)...and looking great! love pb&j pitas!! good luck getting all of your work done :)

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

pear spice oatmeal with walnuts... this oatmeal variation is pure bliss!! love it!! much better than the infamous "breakfast of champions" (you know, the Wheaties cereal, haha).

happy Thursday! the weekend is almost here! :0)

Sarah said...

emma---Thanks for letting me know! It seems to be working okay right now..maybe blogger was having a fluke of some sort this morning. Hmm...

hk---Thanks! So far so good! :)

veggiegirl---Yay! for it almost being the weekend!! Its going to be nice having a break, thats for sure...:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks!

I know you like soup. Have you (or your mom) ever made chicken noodle soup. I made some today and it tasted so bland! i used store bought chicken stock, veggies, chicken, and noodles and boiled them all together. What did I do wrong? Thanks!

Sarah said...

robin---Hmm...well, I can honestly say I've never made a homemade chicken noodle soup before, but it sounds like a wonderful idea! :) I've heard that having a good quality chicken stock is the key ingredient, along with a selection of herbs and spices.

ALSO, you've now given me incentive to try and make a chicken noodle soup, and I found this recipe on Cooking Light:

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=222421

It got really good reviews, and seems so quick and easy to make! :) You may end up seeing it on the blog in the future...;)